Butler County, Alabama

Oakey Streak Methodist Church Cemetery
Oakey Streak, Alabama

The photos on this page were submitted by Susan Shine Kilcrease.

See Individual headstone photos.

Click on image to enlarge.
Oakey Streak Methodist Church and Cemetery
Oakey Streak Methodist Church and Cemetery
Oakey Streak Church View 1 Oakey Streak Church View 2
Oakey Streak Church
Oakey Streak Church Cemetery view 2 Oakey Streak Church Cemetery view 3
Oakey Streak Methodist Church Cemetery views
Oakey Streak Community Sign Oakey Streak Church Sign
Oakey Streak Community Sign

Alabama Historical Commission.  The community of Oakey Streak was so named for the abundance of oak trees that grew in the immediate vicinity.  From 1829 - 1843, the post office here was known as Middletown, and from 1853 - 1935, Oakey Streak.  Nearby was the Dawson Masonic Lodge, which housed the Oakey Streak Normal School.  Pioneer settlers were:  W D Stallings, Reid Lane, Prudence Blalock, David Simmons, George Tillman, Joe Jones, John Crittenden, Edward Nix, James Josey, Thomas Hester, William Graydon, Preston Brook, Jim Little & H D Little.  First postmaster was George Wilson.  Early medical practitioners were Dr U H Cook, Dr James Ealum and Dr R L Jernigan.

Oakey Streak Church Sign

Alabama Historical Commission.  Oakey Streak Methodist Church - 1850 - The Methodist Episcopal Church South at Oakey Streak was organized before December 7, 1850 when A M Reid sold ten acres, more or less, to Richard W Prewett, William Hammonds, Daniel B Shine, James W Shine & A M Reid, church trustees.  S T & H C Smith witnessed the deed and the latter proved it September 19, 1868 before R S Hughes, JP.  The first church was built of logs & served for many years before being replaced by the present structure. Alabama Register of Landmarks & Heritage, 1977.

See Individual headstone photos.

Contact Butler County
website coordinator
Return to Butler
County home page

Page updated 8 Apr 2008.