Bullock County, Alabama Native Americans
Tchona nagi, also known as Chananagi ,an Upper Creek village, was located in the county, giving its name to Chunnennuggee Ridge, but location and other details are wanting. The territory of the county includes few large streams, and is in the extreme southern section of the Upper Creek territory. It was evidently not very thickly peopled. Mounds were found on the plantation of J. H. Fielder1, 10 miles from Union Springs in 1879.
Additional village sites are recorded near the Central of Georgia
Railway, between Union Springs and Guerryton, and some on the road to
Eufaula, but the latter is doubtless of Lower Creek affiliation.
For some year prior to 1860, near the flag station of Chunnenuggee on the present Central of Georgia R. R., was a celebrated camp ground. It is a tradition that the Indian town was located only a few miles distant, and near the present village of Suspension.
A Creek town which Brannon places "in Bullock County, just south of the Central of Georgia Railroad, near Suspension." Woodward represents the people of this town as being allied with the Tukabahchee when the Creek war broke out. There is a modern village of this name east of Montgomery, in Russell County, Alabama.
During the Treaty of Fort Jackson in 1814, the Creeks ceded 23 million acres of land in Alabama and Georgia to the United States government. The boundary of the lands ceded by the Creeks ran across present-day Bullock County from northeast of Mitchell Station, Alabama, to southeast of Pine Grove, Alabama.
The Fifth Treaty entered into between Gen. Andrew Jackson and the chiefs, deputies and warriors of the Creek Nation on the 9th of August, 1814, cites that an unprovoked, inhuman and sanguinary war had been waged by the hostile Creeks against the United States and that the states had repelled, prosecuted and determined the same successfully, notwithstanding the instigations of impostors, denominating themselves prophets, and notwithstanding the duplicity and misrepresentation of foreign emissaries, whose governments were at war with the United States.
As a punishment for the aid which the Creeks rendered to England during the War of 1812 they were required by this treaty to cede another slice of their territory along the Coosa River to the United States, the Government, however, promising that inasmuch as the Creeks were reduced to extreme want, it would furnish them with the necessaries of life until they could mature a crop of corn.
Settlement followed the final Creek cession of 1832. In January, 1837, the Creek Indians then being removed from the country, committed some depredations, which brought about an engagement between them and the whites, about three miles west of Midway, then in Barbour, but now in this county. One white man, Walter Patterson, was killed, and Judge W. R. Cowan lost his left arm. A few others were slightly wounded, and several horses were killed. General William Wellborn was in command. It is not known that any Indians were killed.
- I believe this to be the farm of Jack Fielder of Bruceville, Alabama.
- Bullock County Guide, reprinted in The West Alabamian, Carrollton, May 7, 1879.